Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Friday, September 02, 2005

Stepping off the rollercoaster into oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the street.............

Saturday was a missioning day - the girls and I went to a party at a friends house, Josh cleaned out our crawl space while we were gone. We then took the girls out for lunch, out for dinner, in between we did haircuts, manicures, bought them each two pairs of sneakers, one for gym and one to wear the other days of school. How I miss the days of the school uniform, life was so much easier then although when I see what my sister has to pay for her uniforms, we are getting off pretty lightly by wearing regular clothes.

Sunday we did the BBQ thing - we had almost 30 people over. They all had a great time and I must say it was a nice mix of people. Funny it started off with me calling my cousin Darren to see if they wanted to go swimming at my folks pool. He said sure, but actually what he really wanted to do was braai (BBQ), and he thought we should do it. So we went along with that thought and the impromptu braai just grew into 30. Hectic is a word that does not begin to describe the past week.

The end of summers marks the begining of the school year, everyone wants to be in their new homes before the start of school, many people take the last week off so for those Title Closers still in town work was unbelievably busy. I literally left early every morning and came home late every night driving up to 200 miles a day - filling my new gas guzzler up every second day, at $3.00-$3.41 a gallon it was quite a wake up call. On top of it all my kids started school, and Ryan had to have that horrible test. 24 hours with 22 electrodes pasted to her head, all the wires taped to the back of her shirt and a big backpack with the actual monitor in it. It was heavy and she was such a champ. Nikki spent the whole day by her side just lying next to her big sister taking good care of her. She even gave Ryan her most prized possession to sleep with, her woo-woo, a huge white dog with black spots. Ryan's whole head was bandaged up.

Monday started off so early, waking both kids to get them dressed and fed and out the house by 7:15 so I could drop Nikki at my folks and get Ry to the dr's. We (Ryan, my dad and I) were at the dr's at 8:45am, I dropped her at my folks place where she could sit and watch TV all day long. A special treat in my poor kids deprived lives. Cable heaven. I then went full guns into closings, and all the running around that accompanies the job, only to get home at 9:30pm. A miserable Ryan called me, she could not get comfortable with all her gear. Poor baby has been through so much. My mom got her to sleep. Tuesday morning was at the supermarket by 7am so I could be at the dr's by 8am. He refused to read the results as we had a major dissagreement the day before (I will post it under my guilt trip), left him and off to another whirlwind of closings, followed by a brief introduction with the kids meeting their teachers and dropping off their school supplies in their cubbies. Tuesday Night Josh's dad, his step mom and my folks came over to celebrate Josh's 43rd birthday. Everyone had a lovely time, J got spoiled rotten. We put the kids to bed early in anticipation of their first day of school.

We pulled it together, got everyone ready and out the door, the kids chose to walk (hey we do live about a block away from the school so no hardship there although we do have the option of catching the bus outside our house - literally). Nikki, my little mayor was the center of attention within 30 seconds, 5 little people all wanting to sit next to her. I have no idea where she knew all the kids from but they all knew her. She was so done with me. My baby is all grown up. Ryan unfortunately ended up in a class with three kids that she does not get on with, two of the kids were almost suspended from camp, one of the reasons was they tried to force feed Nikki suntan lotion on the bus (nice hey) and the other cheats - lovely!!! She does not back down and goes head to head with all of them. Have to wish her teacher luck.

One of the marked differences between my girls was by the end of the day Nikki knew the name of every kid in her class, and Ry after being at school for two years with these kids did not know who most of her class was. I think it will be a great year for them. Nikki has Ryan's Kindergarten teacher who I just love. We have such a special connection and I really adore her. She already has me signed up to do a South African Presentation for her class - any thoughts or ideas for it would be welcome.

I left the kids and set out for work, oy vey, long, long closing, got a call after the girls got home, little voices telling me all about their day, got all teary eyed at work - I am such a woes. Hated not being there for that moment to share their excitement. The guilt of the working mom.

The rest of the week whirlwinded into work. Friday Night Josh dropped the kids off at my mom, I was just too beat to do shabbat with them. Could barely keep my eyes open as I went to bed early. Really a long hard week.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals