Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Summer dreaming

This summer started out with a huge of list of things to do from going to spend a day in New Jersey with my friend Dawn to cycling around Caumsett State Park. The only thing we knocked off the list was having our deck built. It looks great and the guys who built it are true craftsmen. I threw my shoulder out and pinched a nerve in my neck the first month of the summer so that hampered many of my plans. This Saturday Josh and I loaded up the car with our bikes. We set out for Caumsett State Park, because he is a man - he did not need directions; because I am a woman, I do not carry maps in my car. So needless to say within a while we were hopelessly lost. When we finally did get directions we were so far off course there was no going back. We ended up at a magical place called Center Island, its the high rent district. There are these huge mansions on this Island, Billy Joel has a home there. We parked before we got there and drove past breathtaking scenery, looking at the most magnificent estates. We really had a great time and I can I just say, holy cow we are so friggin' unfit but we had such a great time together. We then went home and started getting into the series Six Feet Under. We checked the first season out of the library.

We then headed off to the movies to watch http://www.weddingcrashersmovie.com/ - loved it. Really a light, entertaining movie, just what we felt like.

The kids had their own bit of magic, my dad took them into Manhattan to see a Broadway show,Chitty Chitty bang Bang, http://www.chittythemusical.com/ , Nikki has a bit of a speech impediment so she called it Shitty Shitty Bang Bang. They had such a great time and for me it brought up such great memories with my dad. He would take us once a year to the Theater, his three girls would get dressed in their best clothes, with hats, gloves and knee length white socks and he would give my mom the night off as we went to watch the magic on stage. At intermission he would bring us back our own box of black magic chocolates and we would feel so grown up and so special. He still takes his girls out when we are all together but it is nice that he takes my girls out for their special time with Grandpa. I think this trip was marred by Nikki throwing up at Dinner but he is a trooper and has really made his broadway trips an annual event with his granddaughters. How lucky they all are to have that special time together.

Sunday morning we got the girls and for once we did absolutely nothing. Josh and I took turns watching movies with the girls, we each watched two movies, one with each child so they could have quality shnuggle time with each of us. They then did their own thing and J and I had quality shnuggle time of our own as we got into the series Six Feet Under. Looking forward to seeing the next episode.

Last night I took two of my friends from work out for dinner, the one friend has been so instrumental in getting me work and the other just got engaged. Boy I would not want to be 27 again for anything, imagine having to go through all that all over again. Planning her wedding, so much stress for her. It was such a lovely evening, the food was great and they are really great gals. I feel fortunate to own that part of my life that is wholly mine, not linked to my family or anyone else. How long it took me to reach this place in life and how happy and grateful I am to be here.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals