Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Monday, August 08, 2005

The weekend in review

We had a South African BBQ on Saturday, its amazing how much prep work it takes to put an event together that we wanted to keep as authentically South African as possible, right down to the guests :) Friday afternoon we ran around getting the extra braai/BBQ, all the goodies my mom made, a few last minute grocery items and a big cooler which Loren and Jeff were kind enough to lend us. We ended up hanging out with Loren and Jeff for quite sometime, which I felt quite bad about as Loren had just got back in from India earlier that day and I had dinkum thought we would pop in and leave them to have some family time. They are such gracious hosts that we literally stayed so long we ended up eating dinner there. We were having such a great time but were forced to leave as my folks dog sitter locked herself out of their house. We came home, organized until late, quiched out and woke up running the next morning at 7am and did not stop until 7:30pm when the last guests left.

The BBQ started at 1pm and was great, we had such a nice mix of people and I feel so fortunate to finally have so many people I can actually relate to. There were about 25 people all together. The kids all got on fabulously and a great time was had by all. It was great seeing my american friends trying biltong and droe wors (beef jerky) and boerewors (a type of farmer's sausage), sosaties (curried lamb kebabs), marinated steaks, and pap and sous (corn meal with a tomato and onion gravy that Dawn and Daniel made which was unbelievable). It was really great. Desserts consisted of my mom's warm cheesecake, her lemon meringue pie, I made fudge, sweetie pies (a marshmellow filled cookie covered in chocolate, and we bought boxes of south african cookies. I also made a lame attempt at coconut ice. There is really something magical for me about having people in my home, all laid back and having a great time. It really warms my heart and I felt so fortunate to have everyone there.

Amazing Moment
One of the most amazing moments of the day was when I was busy trying to lay everything out and Loren came over to me to let me know that my girls and a few other kids were being mean to Dawn's son Ross and teasing him. I dropped everything went over to the trampoline, called my girls off, made them apologize to Ross and sent them straight to their rooms, they could see how pissed I was. I really would have left them there for the rest of the day. I went back to setting out and organizing, a few minutes later, Ross comes over to me and says "Tammy I feel really bad that Ryan and Nikki are in time out and I would like it if you let them out". I was speechless for a moment and said to him how that was not how we liked to treat guests in our home and that I thought their punishment was really mild. He once again told me how he really wanted them to come out because it made him feel bad. I said to him that if he really wanted them out of time out then I would let them come out. He said yes but asked if I could ask them to stay away from him.

Ross has always had a special place in my heart but that pretty much sealed him in there forever. What a remarkable kid, his parents have done a job and a half with him http://photos1.blogger.com/img/112/938/640/DSC02535.jpg

Sunday Madness

We got through late Saturday Night, after we finished putting everything away, he kids to bed, etc., Josh and I sat on the swing chatting about our day until late. It was lovely, we went to bed only to have Ryan wake us up at 6am to shnuggle, by 7am we hit the floor running again, we headed down to Josh's dad's house, he lives on the open Bay in a beautiful home. We sat on his boat watching the annual canoe races. It was great. His dad and stepmom are really wonderful people and spend a lot of time playing with the kids and making them feel very special. Time got away from us and we threw the kids into the car and did some low flying back to our home where we started

South African Braai Part Two

We had a second group of friends over for a BBQ/Braai. Another hectic afternoon. It was great seeing everyone but I must say after we sorted everything out later that night we were so exhausted. Next time we have to try keep the madness to one major event a weekend -yeah right. I can't believe the summer is almost over and we have not stopped running. The kids dragged themselves off on to the bus, exhausted. They had a great weekend but boy are we all paying for it today.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals