Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

TV Mania

I am in the midst of a debate with a friend of mine - she feels that Josh and my no tv, no computer rule during the school week is cruel as it alienates the kids from their peers. I must just add that we don't even have cable so even when they watch tv they are not part of the popular culture, unless they are happily entrenched at my mom's house.

I am a TV addict, I admit it. In the same way I can't keep junk food in the house, I can't have cable, I think I would miss out completely on the first quarter of my kids development in favour of Home and Garden TV or one of the other channels that captures my fancy.

I also don't like the concept of them zoning out in lalaland 7 days a week. I feel they have a long day and need to burn off stress, there is tons to do, they have a full basement complete with a stage and clubhouse, more toys then a small asian nation could hope to produce and a backyard with a swingset, trampoline, clubhouse and a gazillion toys. I did not feel like my youth was any less exciting then the next persons because SA was behind getting tv, until the mid 1970's. I understand how hard it is when everyone at school is talking about what SpongeBob did on TV last night or whatever show they watched, I know it further alienates her from this alien nation I have placed her in. But one day when she speaks to her sister as they watch their own kids play they won't remember the SpongeBob episode but they will remember how they hunted for bugs in the backyard or how we planted a vegetable garden (Ok I planted they threw dirt at eachother and cried) or how they invented a game called popcorn on the trampoline.

I may be scaring them for life in many ways, but I don't think that this qualifies, guess only time will tell ................................

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals