Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

New Beginings.........

My neighbourhood has been a tough one for me to make inroads in to and meet people. When I first arrived here I became friendly with a neighbour who was the best thing for me, we hung out together, she got me into a million playdates and I met tons of people through her. Turns out that she makes poison ivy smell like a rose. She is whacked for want of a better word. She lives in some surreal existence that revolves around her and the havoc her mouth causes as she passes on juicy gossip, some real and others real to her. After being the brunt of her particular brand of poison, I cut her out of my life. She is the least liked person I have ever come across and as hard as it is her only redeeming quality is her husband who is a sweetheart.

The rest of the neighbourhood has been an even harder nut to crack. I have many people who like me, we have a great time when we are together but it never goes anywhere unless I initiate it. As luck would have it I have a next door neighbour who has a daughter two weeks older then Nikki, my across the street neighbour has a daughter 6 months older then Nikki. All three girsl will be at school together. I am really excited at the prospect because these women look right through me. Very sweet, very nice, very false and people I just don't get. When we first moved in to the neighbourhood my husband would clean the snow off their driveways and most of the houses on our street. He has a huge snow blower and he feels so manly strutting behind it and is basically a really good guy. No-one ever thanked him or when we were away no-one took the time to clear our walk. After 3 years of heavy snowstorms, and him clearing it every time, he finally said enough is enough and I was behind him 100%.

Ryan is unfortunate enough to be in a year at school that has managed to spawn the most delightful bunch of snot nosed bitches who are only outranked by their snot nosed spoiled mothers. These people are all of one mind, one thought and honestly just plain self involved. I dread birthday parties with her friends and am so happy because this year is the year of drop off parties, I only have to suffer the parents for short periods of time.

Nikki on the other hand is in a pre-school program where each person is nicer then the next. I can't wait for an opportunity to see any of her friends parents or any of the kids who are the sweetest girls I have ever come across. I have the best fun with them. These kids live lives that are not even imaginable to me, they live in mansions, jet set around the world, and they are the nicests people you could ever hope to meet. Their parents have their feet firmly planted in the ground and it shows. This is Nikki's last year at her pre-school, she has a few more weeks and then she is off to join all these people that I don't care much about.

Last night I had a momentary emotional overload, I could notimagine losing my connection with these people and having to deal with all these moms who have no substance. I was so sad. I had experiences at birthday parties where mothers would not speak to me, and these are people who live on my street or nearby. Nikki had her second session of Kindergarden orientation today and I was just dreading it - last time I sat with my across the street neighbour who only talks to me when my next-door-neighbour is not there (shallow to say the least). it was a pleasant enough experience she has a great sense of humour. But this time I was just plain dreading it not knowing who would be there. It so happens that I landed with a group of moms I can relate to, hysterically funny woman who whisked me away to cast our votes and drink coffee. It felt so good to be a part fo a group of strangers who got me, who welcomed me, who included my child in their activities, they invited me to join their pre-camp group and offered to carpool with me - not knowing me. Maybe my kids will know the kindness of strangers maybe I have been here too long and have been jaded. I find the more I think I am being lulled into a false sense of security the more I am affirmed that there are people I can relate to and get and laugh with. For me the pure essense of life is captured in laughter. Not everyone gets my sense of humour and takes me at face value. How I love when I can just get on the wave and ride with people who have a sense of adventure and lust for life.

I am so about living the best possible life I can, experiencing life to the fullest. Knowing that the dark times lead to greater light or enlightenment.I saw this really crappy movie this weekend, there was one line that just got me. GOT me. The mother says after her husband dies, "G-d let me live before I die"

I am so grateful because I do believe I live - every day. I feel like I have lived a million lifetimes in one and know that their is something good, possibly even great in every day and am grateful for the opportunity to live it, and be a part of it. The only hurt I experience is at the hands of others, I live in a place where people all beat to the same drum, I to the music in my soul. They don't hear my song and don't care for the sound of theirs. Amongst the throngs of people that live here there are a few whose souls have touched mine and mine theirs. We join in our love of life and that is the greatest music of all.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals