Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Mah Jong

Last night I attended my first Mah Jong class. I have to say for the first half hour I felt unbelievably stupid and thought there was no way on earth that I would ever get the concept of cracks, bams, dots, dragons and flowers. Once I got over that they were just different suits like hearts, clubs, etc. it all came together. Now while I am not ready to take on the Mah Jong circuit and shake old ladies for money I am feeling more confident.

It was really funny when my friend Lisa set up the group to learn the responses she received went from yes that sounds great to "I am not Jewish" and "Speak to me in 30 years". I have to say for me I am so into using the otherside of my brain and I just love the mental workout. It feels so good to grab a new concept, swirl it around in my head until it falls into place.

I used to be addicted to many things from Flings chips to Bar One chocolates, among my addiction was a game called Klaverjas (which I still play online at http://www.gamesquare.nl/ ). It is such a great game and part of the appeal was the bonding with people, I have to say there was something so intimate about sitting around a table playing cards and laughing. Talking about stuff that was not of world importance but focussed on beating the pants off of your opponents. In the States they have a similar game called Pinnochle, unfortunately I cannot find anyone under the age of 75 who has evenheard of it, let alone who remembers how to play and if they do remember they certainly would not play with a woman, well not cards in any event.

So now I am joining the legions of blue haired woman who play Mah Jong. Lisa and I joke that we are going to become Mah Jong husslers and take these old ladies for every cent they have - when u consider that you are playing for 25cents a game its gonna take us a long time, but hey we are serious and will show no mercy :) See its good I have found friends who have just as whacky a sense of humour as I do.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals