Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Hob Nobbing...........

It often amazes me how I end up in really incredible situations. I have hob nobbed with the rich and famous quite by accident on many occassions. One such time was in 1988 when I was coming back from my adventure in Israel (in the Israeli Army on Sar-el) and my trip on Contiki through Europe. When I arrived at the airport in Cape Town my sister Heidi was there with a wide grin. She was so excited. I have just met Brenda Fassie she says, for those not in the know, Brenda was a mega star in South Africa at the time, like Madonna to the black population. She went on to say that Brenda was getting married and her and I had been invited to the wedding. The wedding was amazing in a large church jam packed with fans and celebrities, her maid of honour was none other then Miriam Mkebe (sp??) Fans packed the outside, there was a small pathway in to the church where we were carried away by the magic of voices in harmony. It was awesome. Afterwards we headed back to the townships to the reception. We arrived early as the wedding party was taking photo's doing press, etc. We were enveloped with the warmth of the community, two lone white faces in the sea of black. We danced with an assortment of people, all laughing on a high for this auspicious event. When the wedding party arrived we made our way into the reception which was held at Brenda's house, it was very simple and so unlike the excesses of white affairs. Huge vats of stew, pap and sides simmered away, traditional black fare, not roaming far from her roots. It was very strange being in the minority being a product of Apartheid where whites and blacks were segregated and our only exposure to black people were the ones who worked in our homes or did many of the essential, invisible jobs that made the economy grow.

Last night wa another experience of the sort, not quite as high powered but interesting. Josh was invited to attend a function for Tom Suozzi who is running for the governor of New York State. It is a huge position with direct access to the President of the USA. I bumped into people whose houses I had closed. Multi-million dollar homes in the most prestigious areas. The home we were on was breathtaking, right on the open bay, four lots connected together with a tasteful, rather mammoth home situated on it. At one point I was talking to some people I do work for, who happen to be some of the nicest millionaires/billionaires? one could ever hope to meet. At which point Tom comes over to me, puts his arm around my shoulder and starts asking me questions about the title industry and areas he wanted to target for investigation and what were my thoughts on it. He is gorgeous. How did he expect me to even think. Charasmatic too. We chatted for quite some time. A huge hug and kiss and he was gone. Sighhhhhhhhh guess he has my vote!

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals