Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Camping out...........

This past weekend was so hectic, we left bright an early in the morning on Saturday after a mad week of late nights, was not home one night before 9:30pm and was out the door everymorning between 7:30 and 8 - crazy stuff. Saturday was my day to get a taste of camping, NY style. One of my saviours is my friend Anita, I am so bad at being an in your face sales person in NY, she pushes me into lots of new companies whether they like it or not - I know I love it!!! We headed out to their camping growns in riverhead at the end of Long Island. Their version of camping is a lager of caravans/rv's in a cicle with not a tent in sight. Now I have done extensive camping in my life, many times with my dad who would take my elder sister, my two first cousins (both boys) and me for a weekend of fishing. The boys would fish and Heid and I would play. Then as I got older we would go to summer camp, which is nothing like the american cushy version, we would actually erect the tent. Dig a moat around it, pee in blocks of cement with a hole in it and shower in uncovered buildings with only cold water - now that was camping. No where in my camping experience was there satelite TV, indoor plumbling, a sofa, two bedrooms, a fridge, freezer, microwave, 3 TV's, I must say, I like their way of camping. Most of my childhood vacations were spent in our caravan/rv they were awesome, very basic but we had a jol. Here the kids come laden with gameboys, bikes, scooters and dirt bikes. Not knowing this I brought a few toys and ball games for the kids. They ended up watching all the other kids on their hi-tech toys, so I did what any mom would do - got them to dig a huge hole in the shade by the RV and I filled it up with water - the kids made mud pies, sand castles, little villages and had a great time, theyw ere covered in mud from head to toe. No-one there could believe that there were girls who loved to get dirty and they had a great time until another 7 year old girl came up to Ryan, Ry invited her to join in, the little girl turned up her nose and said ew that is disgusting. Suddenly the mud lost all its allure, Ry had been having such a great time until she saw it through someone else's eyes. I happened to have bought a wacky hose pipe for the kids that shoots water in a million different ways, I am a real Walmart Shopper, it was in the back of my car - we hooked it up, the kids had a blast. There is something about kids when you add water that just makes them so happy. They collapsed into the car at the end of the day having had a great time.

Sunday morning we got them up bright and early so we could drop them at my in-laws. Josh and I then headed off to Bob's mom's apartment to finish packing it all up. Finished it as best we could. Got home, emptied out our spare bedroom/office and Josh got to work installing the shelves Bob had given us - they look awesome and it is taking us forver to actually sort everything out and pack them back. We are such hoarders - both of us and hate throwing anything away. Ah such is life. Monday Nin arrives for another night before she whisks back to SA her nieces love hanging out with her.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals