Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

A dream come true.........

By all accounts my dad is a very successful man. he has been happily married for over 40 years to my mom. He has three daughters of of whome he has a good relationship. He is a great dad and husband. He came from humble beginings, the only child of immigrant parents Lionel and Rachel. He and my mom built up a company from the ground up that eventually went public. He succeeded through hard work, at the office by 4:30am everyday and working well into the night, in the beginning he juggled two or three jobs. He retired 8 years ago. He is one of the smartest men I know and my hero. He has fulfilled every dream of his, except one. My dad's passion is trains, in any form. I remember many a Saturday morning sitting at Johannesburg station watching the trains come and go. Occassionally we would catch a train and have a picnic lunch. Steam trains being his favourite. His dream job is to be a train driver. he even applied in South Africa where he was told he would have to work the night shift and be an apprentice to the driver which entailed making the driver sandwiches and coffee and ensuring that he did not fall asleep. Over the years we have tried to make this dream come true for him but to no avail. Last week my sister Heidi finally succeeded. She found a place in Florida that gave him a lesson and let him drive the train. Elated is the only word I can use to describe the enthusiastic phone call I got from him afterwards. There it was that glimpse of the little boy inside the man. He had the time of his life and has finally fulfilled his life-long dream. My dad, the train driver. Choo Choo.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals