Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Monday, April 03, 2006

Weekend in review......

All week long I dread Saturdays. Its the day Ry and I tackle homeowrk, her and I end up at odds. I hate fighting with this lovable creature who is so sweet and so eager to please. I know she can't help that the words all get scrambled and we both hate that we have to face this foe head on. It looms large for both of us. She hates it as much as I do. I try to keep patient, I try counting to 10 and taking deep breathes but it is so hard to do, especially after a long, hectic week. I always feel bad when I shout at her and I know it makes her feel just as lousy. Homework is homework and our Saturday battle is better then fighting every afternoon after a longer day. I must say last week I was really so proud of her, she got all her words right on her test. I have to say I can barely spell half the words, not sure how they expect an 8 year old to be able to - congruent? microscope? comprehend? disrespect? symmetry? and those are just a few of this weeks 20 words. Too much I tell you. The hardest part is trying to explain them to her when I can barely understand them myself!!! Sheesh crazy stuff.

Amongst it all Ry went from 8 to 16 overnight. At the doctors last week I was not allowed to touch her, I embarress her, lol, I stopped smoking almost 20 years ago and developed a great habit of rolling paper in my fingers instead of smoking, that habit embarresses her too. When I was on the phone with my sister I wanted to tell her how well Ry did on her test, Ry rolled her eyes. I know I shouldn't laugh and encourage this behaviour but I can't help it, it is so friggin' funny. She is all growed up, although that night we lay in bed for ages looking through the American Girl catalogue working out what she can spend her pebbles on - that place takes a lot of pebbles!!!

Friday Night we went to my folks for Shabbat Dinner. My dad is still in so much pain and it is hard to watch, the fall really put him on his arse, literally and figuratively. My folks set a beautiful table with a fabulous meal for our Anniversary. It looked beautiful and was very sweet. They bought us a video camera - they really are the best!!

We packed up the kids so we could start the Saturday whirl bright and early. Ry and I started homework at 7:30am so she could be at horseriding at 10am. Horseriding is her passon, her whole face lights up. She has developed so much confidence that she no longer even uses a lunge or lead line, she manoevers Rosie with such style and grace, the smile never leaving her face for a minute. While we do our stuff, Josh takes Nikki to dance. We meet back at the house in time for Bob to pick Josh up so he can start helping him dissasemble stuff in Bob's mom's apartment which we are still helping clear out. I drop the kids at a friend who is taking thm to a party so I can go help Bob sort out his moms stuff and pack it up for him. Split second timing, rush, rush, rush. Josh and I exhausted don't even have time to shower but stopped into our favourite greek restaurant Mythos in Queens. The food is absolutely superb. Did some shopping at Target afterwards, needed bike helmets for the girls, prepared for our adventure of the next day. Packed up the car, got everything together for our picnic and our bbq/braai for Sunday.

Sunday morning we loaded up the bikes, picked up the girls from my folks and headed out to Caumsett State Park http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkID=68 It is a former Estate, a summer house of a very wealthy man, oh the days before income tax!!! Gorgeous place in Lloyds Neck Harbour, the main house has a view of the bay. There are horses, hiking trails and biking trails, we did the three mile paved trail, had a picnic in fron t of the main house. We had such a great time, it was Nikki's first time on a big girl bike and she handled it so well except for two rather major spills. Ryan had one fall which really shook her up but she was fine after that. We then headed over to have frozen yoghurt and afterwards headed for home where my cousins Darren and Laura brought their two boys over for a BBQ and to play. It was really the perfect day and made the whole weekend just great. The best thing about a three mile hike and then a strenuous day on the swings and trampoline in our backyard, the kids conked out at 6:30 pm and slept for 12 hours straight!!!

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals