Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Friday, March 17, 2006

The ties that bind us.............

Friendship is an interesting concept. We can have ties that bind us until the end of time or a common interest that is fleeting. There are people I have connected with online and others who have been in my corner my whole life. I never had a problem bonding with people until I came to America. It was tough to work out how peoples minds worked and trying to find people who viewed life in the same skewed way that I do.

Two years ago I had a turning point, I started connecting with wonderful women who challenged my mind and made me laugh like I had not done in years. I have found one of the strongers ties that binds my latest group of friends in my neighbourhood is our connection to our extended families. We all have involved parents, siblings and cousins. Our kids are exposed to so much love through so many people and are so much the beter for it. Its funny but Americans have broken down their connections to their families, when one is 18 you are expected to fly away and soar. take out student loans be independent and visit on Thanksgiving, call on Mother's/Father's Day and spend the rest of you life making it about me. I still believe it takes a village to raise a child. Last night I went out to a PTA dinner/fundraiser with members of my new tribe, we're a mixed lot of Indian's, Asians, American's and a token South African. I love laughing with these woman and I love our connection. How much did I miss having people who could have me laughing so hard that I could not breathe. Laughter is my medicine. I hate these PTA functions where so many people know me and its amazing because I am completely invisible to them. They see right through me. I guess the Weight Watchers is working.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals