Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Thursday, March 02, 2006

The sounds of happiness

There is no better sound then my kids playing nicely together. I love hearing the giggles, the elaborate stories and the wonderful paths their imagination takes them on. At the moment they have built a house made out of pillows and parts of tupperware, I have to say, it looks like a really cool house, Nikki is the big sister and Ryan as always is the doggy. It makes me smile and I could literally devour them they are so cute. Unfortunately on the flipside when I have those blood curdling screams resonating through the house when they are attempting to kill each other I want to be transported to Siberia or any place warmer then the temperature in this house. Luckily they have tons of little spats throughout the day but none that linger, we do not allow anyone to hold grudges, life is too short for that.

One of the decisions we made when we moved into this house in 1999 was to not have cable, more for me then the kids, I am a complete TV addict and can watch it 24 hours a day. We get about 11 free channels so its not like I don't know what is happening in the world. I have to say except for Grey's Anatomy and Medium I really don't watch anything else except for the morning news. I am not around to watch Oprah or the View and the re-runs are just too late at night for me. Don't feel too bad for the kids, they have a huge video collection and the libraries in America are unbelievable, you can check out DVD's or videos for FREE - the latest stuff too.

I did not want to have kids who spent their days glued to the TV so we don't allow them to watch any during the week or play on the computer on school days. Instead we created an unbelievable basement for the kids, they have a clubhouse under the stairs, complete with doorbell and door (of course) and Josh built them a HUGE stage that we covered in blue carpet that has big white stars on it. We put Wallies (wall paper cutouts) on the walls and have bought more dress up clothes then any two kids should possibly own. It is such a great place for them to stretch their imaginations to the limit. Unlike South Africa when we were growing up when we could spend most of the days outdoors, New York has more then its share of grotty days. Most houses in the area have basements so that kids toys don't overun the entire household.

I have to say one of the things I really find hard living here is that America is a disposable soceity. Its cheaper to buy new then to have something fixed. Our microwave went on the fritz, they wanted $40 to look at it and then the repairs went up from there, a brand new microwave (the same as the one that died) was $100. People throw tons of things away, couches, and tv's and computers. There are people who make their living combing Sunday Night Trash and recycling it. I have to say I have trash picked myself, Josh is disgusted when I do, but let me tell you - they throw out Little Tyke toys in excellent shape, I could not resist when the kids were little and still into all those toys. I have to say Josh has banned me from picking anything up and it just slays me to drive past really awesome stuff.

I feel sorry for the average American in our neighbourhood, people here have been sold a bill of goods, people lease cars so they get a new one every few years. Not that I have anything against leasing but its just part of what I think is a broader problem of instant gratification, instant cures and fixes. Peoples lives are transitionary, they think nothing about moving away from family, many of the people I know (not my friends per se) rarely see their families and have no desire to, an annual pilgrimage whether to Florida or down the block will suffice. I can't imagine life without the daily interaction with my family and those that feel like family. People and things are disposable for my liking. Its a strange place but hey its home.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals