Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Friday, March 31, 2006

Happy Anniversary

Today is Josh and my tenth anniversary. Its hard to believe that we have been married for 10 years. Ten years ago we were in South Africa exchanging vows at the Berea Shul, the same Temple where both sets of Grandparents made their committment to each other. It was a hard day, dealing with lots of personalities and a rather anxious husband who was not known for dealing with stress well, his having to deal with his divorced parents and their own animosity was really tough for him. His folks have a great realtionship provided his mom is not around his step-mom. His step-mom is a doll but his mom really gets on edge and make sure she takes everyone down with her.

Its funny but I am known for only wearing black, my dad had never seen me in white (neither had I). We kept the wedding dress a surpirise, my mom was the only one who had seen it. It was a gorgeous dress but a meringue of note!!! When she called my dad upstairs to come and see me, he moved faster then I had ever known him to, she barely got the words out of her mouth when he was standing next to me. He could not say a word, and I still picture the look in his eyes, he brushed my cheek with his had, so overwhelmed with emotion, we both faught back the tears. I descended the stairs and the show began.

I was the first daughter to get married. The day Josh propsed to me was not exactly a high point. I was staying in his apartment for the weekend, he had such a beautiful place with the most incredible view. I had just received a letter from a friend of mine who now lives in Australia, I have written before (Wednesday, February 22, 2006) on my immigration experience. Letters from those I loved, literally sent me into a tailspin. I would sob for days. This was one of those moments. I was sobbing. Could not stop. Josh knelt on the floor next to me and started talking about how he hated to see me in so much pain and he would do anything to make it better and how he promised to take care of me, and how his greatest wish was to grow old with me and love me forever. He wanted to know if I would marry him. I was not sure I said, I am so sad, I can't live in New York forever, I am going to go back home one day. He said,fine I will go back with you. Now this is even funnier as I had met Josh 10 months before.

I have an Uncle who is a Title Closer, he was at a closing with a girl, he said to her don't you know any nice jewish boys to introduce my niece to (this is the Uncle that was marriend to my mom's sister - they divorced over 20 years ago)? She said sure, she caled me up and said I have this great guy, Matt, to introduce you to, can I give him your number. I said no thanks but I would love to meet you. I don't do blind dates but am always open to meeting new people. She set up a date for her and I to go out, and asked if Matt could come too. Sure I said, the more the merrier. Matt brought Josh with him. I was early (as usual), they arrived late, as I was to learn later being on time for Matt was being half an hour late. Josh walked in all I know is he annoyed the crap out of me. She chose a pricey restaurant, I ordered the cheapest thing on the menu, they ordered multiple courses. I drank water, the alcohol at the table flowed. I was barely surviving in NY and always too proud to let people know just how broke I was. When the bill came, Josh snatched it and said, I'll pay. Elissa said, no don't be silly we will split it. I was saying, please pay, please pay, silently in my head. My el chepo dinner ended up costing a fortune. I was devastated. All night long, Josh was cracking jokes about South Africa and Tarzan and Jane. I was not amused. My cousin Lisa had just left that day to return to SA and I was so sad. Its so funny I just knew at the end of the night that he was going to ask for my number and I was a little relieved when he didn't. The next morning my phone rings, its Josh, he had asked Elissa for my number. I spent the next few weeks trying to avoid him, getting off the phone as quickly as possible. He was not for me, ulike anyone I had ever dated or was planning to date. Ended up going on a few dates with Matt, not for me either. As a friend of mine told me at the time, the accent was 10 points before you even met the person. We started off with short chats that extended to hours. Josh has always worked hard, he would leavethe city at 5am every morning to get into work at 6am. At 7am he would call me with a toothbrush report as he termed it of what the weather was like for the day, at that time 70 degrees or 50 degrees meant absolutely nothing to me. He would tell me whether to bring a jacket or sweater. The weather can be gorgeous one day and snow the next. I had never been good at relationships and managed to avoid getting close to people. I also dated people who made opening up not a safe thing to do. Josh could read me like no-one ever had. Its funny I always say if I was not at such a low point in my life I would never have been vulnerable enough to have opened myself to a relationship, I never needed anyone before and now I did. Badly. He was so persistent, you see for him the minute he saw me he says it was like a thunderbolt struck, he knew he had found the womanhe wanted to marry. he told his family that he had met his wife, it just took him two months to convince me to even go out with him. He never gave up, twice a day he called, and one day he didn't. It was unsettling. I actually missed our chats, so I finally said yes to going out with him. Its not like I did not see him at all, I got bust a few times telling him I was going to Long Island and he would show up at a party I was attending. Poor guy. He would ask questions and I would say, Josh that is really none of your business. When you are in a relationship you need to tell your partner. Yes I would say but you and I are not in a relationship and it is none of your business.

The funniest thing is when I left South Africa my grandmother was still alive. She gave me a ring that she had brought from Russia when she left before WW II. She told me to wear it for good luck. The only finger it fitted was my thumb. I never took it off. Its the most beautiful pinkish gold ring, very simple a band. One night when I was out in a crowd with Josh, he looked at the ring and he said - that is going to be my wedding band. I laughed and said who are you kidding, I am never going to go out with you let alone marry you. That day I spoke about my trip to South Africa and how I was longing to go home. He said I am going to South Africa with you. Of course I told him he was nuts (which is still up for debate :) . Never say never, my next trip back to South Africa was when we had our engagement party, and the ring, well it fit him perfectly, like it was made for him. I guess my grandma knew something I didn't.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals