Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Coincidence? I think not.....

I am such a believer in the adage that "EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON". I know I sound like a cliche but its just the way my world turns. Yesterday I had a hectic day, Ryan had a Neurologist appointment at 7:30am, I dropped her at school and then headed off to Rocky Point, which in Indian/Native American means Way The Hell Out There!!! It was far. Josh's dad bought him a Magellan Navigational system for his birthday last year - I am thrilled with it :) My job consists on me being in places I could not even find on a map even if I had a map reading gene. This system tells me where to go, when to turn and what gas stations are along the way ... it does not get better then that. It didn't hurt that Rocky Point also meant I had to go past some of my favourite shopping haunts :) When I was driving I passed a For Sale By Owner (FSBO) Store Front. When I first moved to the States I had interviewed with the company, they run a Residential Real Estate Publication, I had run one in SA, they were located in Coram, about an hour drive from my Uncle but I had no car, so had to travel back by train to a central line then catch a train to Coram. It took me 4 hours to get there. I left at 4am for a 9am interview. We had such a jol that the interview lasted a whole day and when it was time for me to go, Kevin, the owner rented a huge white stretch limo to take me back to my Uncles. Unfortunately with the whole visa nightmare I was unable to work for them no matter how much we both wanted it to happen.

I did not have time to stop but went on to my closing which I must say was heartbreaking, it was an elderly man who was living on a fixed income and trying to get out from a mountain of debt. His wife had died two years earlier and they were dependent on her income. He ended up rescinding the loan. If the loan rescinds or the closing adjourns I do not earn anything - the joys of working for oneself. Driving back I had a bit of time to kill so I retraced my steps and went to the FSBO office, knocked on the door and no-one answered. I called the number listed on the door, a woman answered, I told her that I was standing outside their Port Jefferson office and I wanted to speak to Kevin. She says ... are you looking for ad space? No I say, I am a friend. How is it that he has never mentioned you, she says. I am not sure I say, is he there?? Actually she says you have come through to the main switchboard in Coram, hang on let me try contact him, I said tell him South is outside (Dori, his assistant, had coined the nickname for me when I interviewed with them 13 years ago - they had never met anyone from South Africa before). Next thing a guy comes to the door, not looking anything like the Kevin I remembered. He opens the door and says I received a call from my office saying someone is outside and they can't understand what you are saying. He stops in his tracks and says, Tammy is that you??? Hey Kevin how the hell are you. Big hugs and kisses. Long chat. What are you doing with your life he asks, actually I am a title closer. He stops in his tracks ..... what he says??? Its not like I said I was a rapist or anything... he says to me, I am starting my own Title Company on April 6th. No concidences. The odd part of the story is that he is NEVER ever in the Port Jeff office, they use it very rarely but he had met with a client there and decided to work there. Odd I tell you odd. So maybe 13 years later we can finally work together.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals