Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Monday, November 07, 2005

Montreal needs to get over the fact that it is Paris's illegitimate child....

Josh and I have been hanging over the edge of a cliff for a while. Too many balls in the air we could barely keep track of them let alone each other. Josh asked me how I wanted to celebrate my birthday. I told him I just wnated to get away, go to a spa, somewhere where I could get my head around all I need to and just reconnect with myself and if he chose to join me then with him as well. He said he would come provided we stay in the States so he could be in cellphone contact for work and somewhere where it will not cost an untold fortune. I really wanted Europe. American Airlines has these great travel deals and Montreal happened to be one of them. I had always heard that Montreal was the closest North America had to Europe - it sounded perfect. We were too tired to research. Could not make a plan. Lets just do it we said. So we did. We could not think past the week ahead. Organize the kids, playdates, Ryan's food, oh Ryan's food that in itself is a mission. Got everything squared away. My dad drove us the airport to board a very tiny plane (did I happen to mention that for someone who has travelled as much as I have that I am the WORST traveller known to man and get motion sickness just watching my kids on the carousel), now this teeny tine plane had only 3 seats across - can seat 45 passangers - oy friggin' vey. A rather thin woman wanted to move seats and the air hostess told her she could not leave her seat as the plane was balanced. There's a vote of confidence for you. I sat emersed in my book, enjoying the novelty of being able to read and knowing that I could pretend I was anywhere other then where I was.

We landed safe and sound. Headed for Sheraton Le Center, a beautiful hotel rigt in the heart of downtown Montreal, a stone throw from the Old City and a block away from Catherine's Str, the main shopping drag. We checked into the hotel, asked the conceirge to direct us to a French restaurant. We did not follow his directions that well, either his english was not that great or we missed soemthing, but we ended up at this charming Belgium restaurant. We had a superb meal, one of many. The waitress was a dolland introduced us to Canada's system of adding 15% on top of EVERYTHING!!! I guess it explained the surliness and unfriendliness we encountered for the rest of our trip. Montreal needs to dust off its welcome mat and bop a few of its citizens on the head in the process. I think being English was a definite factor but walking along with my rather loud New York hubby was no asset at all. We encountered rude and obnoxious people wherever we went. Boy do New Yorkers have the wrong reputation. We were denied tables inside a restaurant. Had the rudest waitresses serve us that I have ever had. It soured some of the city for us. There were some sweet, kind folk too. But the mean souls are the ones who stuck and there were just so many, really could have put a damper on our trip if we allowed it.

But we feasted and slept. The hotel was gorgeous, they bumped us up to a huge room with a king size bed. it was really lovely. The food is exquisite and we tried a lot of it. The clothing gorgeous but really not in the budget. If I were a fur person I would have gone nuts as it is the fur capital of the world. Not my thing. Friday morning we did a bus tour, got an over view of the city. Who knew Montreal was an island? The Old Town is charming and the city is clean, the only clutter on the sidewalk are the tons of homeless people. there are so many. Very sad to see. They were the politest people we encountered.

I think living in a large city jades one a bit as their art museum could fit into a corner of the MET, NY is a tough city to compete with as it really does offer something for everyone. Living on Broadways doorstep, their theatre did not call us. We walked and walked, something we have not done since we moved out of Manhattan. It was wonderful being together, reconnecting and rekindling. Remembering who we are as a couple, we lose sight of that a lot when we are in the day to day rush that is our lives.

Josh and I parted ways on Saturday, I wanted to see what all the shopping was about and he wanted to see some more of the gorgeous churches in the area. We both enjoyed our day exploring different parts of the city. We went to yet another romantic french bistro for dinner, 5 pounds heavier we walked back to the hotel.
In between calls from the girls. Mommy I miss you so much Nikki sobs, come home now, 4 sleeps is too many. Come home (more tears and sobs). Ryan gets on the phone. Note I had just spoken to my mom who tells me all is well, the kids are fine, nothing to report. Mommy, Ry says, I fell off Rosie today (she goes to horse riding on a Saturday and rides a horse named Rosie), stopped in my tracks, are you ok my love?? Yes she says. Do you have any boo boo's? No she says? Did you get back on Rosie I say?? Yes she says. Give me Gugga I say. You didn't think that was important?? Did you take for an x-ray? is she concussed, ok take her to PM Pediatrics - not the hospital. Tammy she says, I have brought up 3 kids and you all turned out ok, I think I can handle it. I take off the mental check list forget about catching the first flight home. Thank G-d for my folks. My mom made a Disneyland of their own for the kids, crafts and lots of fun stuff. They had a ball. We always call weekends at my parents house, Camp Ruth, my mom runs those kids around all day, I wish I had half her energy.

Sunday I went off to the spa for treatment, had such a great massage, an hour of swedish and half an hour of shiatsu, heaven!!!! Another romp around the old town, walking along the port, watching some buskers. Eating ice cream in the really brisk weather. Heaven. Another french bistro.

Monday morning it is cold, I mean bbbbrrrrrr cold. We look at eachother, pack our bags and head for the airport, going standby for an earlier flight. I need to see my girls, Josh is itching to go back to work. The balls are all still up in the air.

Funny thing coincidences. If you believe in them. Our conveyer belt for our luggage was not working, we walked around the airport until we found the right place at the precise moment a friend I have not seen in a long time was making a connection to London. Brian (Katzen) and I have known eachother since Habonim camp, 1986. We were both at UCT (he is a year or 2 older then me) and we really became good friends when he moved to Johannesburg after I had moved back. He, Shelly Klein and I would do loads of fun stuff together. he moved to LA a few months after I came to the states. I camped out in his apartment for a few days with a few friends. Actually went apartment hunting with him. We lost touch. He now lives in London, married with a daughter. Split second timing - exchanged cards. It will be good to catch up. Old friends are the best kind to have!!

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals