Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Sunday, October 16, 2005

DysFUNctional Families......

Sitting at soccer it occurs to me, the demise of the American family is not in its lack of doing anything together but in its doing too much together.

Growing up in a Christian state was by no means a liberating soceity but with stores closed on a Sunday it facilitated forced family day. Many of my school mates were forced to sit in church, but being one of those of another faith, it forced my parents to be creative and come up with ways of entertaining s so we did not actually kill one another. It meant meeting other families at the Zoolake who bought along their weapons of mass consumptions for a picnic of note. Or finding places to explore. We would pack into my dads car, taking turns sitting on his lap and driving, yes he would let us sit on his lap while he sped down the highway and he would take his hands off the wheel and let us steer. Forget seatbelts. Airbags? Naah - just freewheeling down the Nichol Highway.

New York is a different animal all together, moms and dads negotiating who will wait until the end of the soccer match and who is going to go to Lacrosse or whatever other event they have lined up, three kids three sets of activities, thrown in with a good dose of birthday parties, its a wonder they know eachothers names let alone function as a family unit.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals