Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Decadence

Its been a week since my last confession and oh my have I sinned. Its been a decadent week of exquisite french cuisine, great company, lots of events and of course Halloween. One tries to look past the fact that it is just a pagan holiday and just get into the pure revellery of being a kid. Mounds of candy. Dawn had so rightly said, no wonder our kids are so confused, all year we tell them not to talk to stranger or take candy from people they don't know. Then for one blissfull day throw caution to the wind, eat as much sugar as you can while you take candy from strangers who look pretty strange.

My only down point in the week was when I did a class trip for Nikki's class to the Queens County Museum. The kids fed animals, went on hayrides, picked pumpkins and all that fun stuff, They had a great time. Nikki loved having me there, except when she got caught in a stampede of sheep and I had a quivering coconut hanging on to me for dear life (do sheep actually stampede??) The hard part for me was dealing with the nasty mothers, one of whom is my next door neighbour who was super sweet when she had to dig up my lawn to put in her swimming pool but the rest of the time does not see me. I swear I am completely invisible to her and her cronies. I try not to let it get to me, and I swear for the first three hours of the trip I did not, but that final hour, it was just so hard. They are like the kids I have never known, mean, mean, mean. I felt like I was on the set of mean girls or beverly hills 90210. I came back so deflated and am thankful to Dawn for her Dawn-isms which just helped me put it all perspective. I know it is not me, and that it is some insecurity that they have. I could never fathom being so mean to anyone that I have not dated :) Funny what makes the world tick.

Friday night was the school Halloween party which I must say is sheer torture for me, having to face these b*****'s is just really not my thang, but I do it for the kids and they had an awesome time. I ran the school halloween party last year, this year my friend Lori did a stellar job. My favourite part was a t the end of the evening when the principal came to congradulate me on a great job. Lori and I were laughing over how I got full credit for something that I was not even involved in!

Saturday night the kids slept at my folks and we went out with three other couples, my friends Debie, Lisa and their husbands (both named Kevin) and my cousin Darren and his wife Laura. I can't remember the last time I laughed so much in one evening. I must say the food was outstanding!!! Here's the restaurants website if it interests you http://www.bistrocitron.com/index.html Look at it at your own risk. The food is really incredible.

Sunday we picked the kids up, did the soccer thing and then met Darren and Laura, their kids and her sister's family to go pumpkin pickin at Schmidtts Farms. The weather was unbelievable and the place was just packed. The kids had a great time and we will be eating pumpkin for the next 10 years :) My folks came over for one of Josh's unbelievable BBQ's (braais)

Monday was Halloween. After a hectic day at work, I dashed home to meet the kids and hit the streets, we met up with a friend and her daughter and another friends daughter to see how much candy they could eat. I kept up with them every step of the way unfortunately. We raided the kids goody bags and had a great time. Pulled them off the sugar high and sent them to bed. 5 pounds heavier but happy :)

Happy Halloween!!!!

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals