Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Saturday, June 25, 2005

The things kids say

I wish I had kept a journal of all the outrageously funny things my kids have said and done. One of my favourite Ryan moments, she must have been 3.5/4 she says to me, "Mom can I have milk from your nipples" and slides her orange plastic cup across the kitchen table like they used to slide drinks across the bar in the saloons in the wild west. I say no Ry I don't have any milk in my nipples anymore, she says "oh why, did Nikki drink it all up??"

Yesterday, Ryan and I were driving, we start chatting about our trip to South Africa and how I grew up and was able to walk to the library myself and how there is no way she is ever going to be able to walk there by herself. She asked why and I told her it was a lot safer when I grew up and we could do things like that without worrying. She wanted to know if it was still that safe, I told her no that New York was safer then South Africa. She says to me is that why you moved here? I said yes. She was quite for a few minutes then she says to me, oh I know why South Africa is unsafe, its because of all the Lions and Tigers walking around the streets. I snorted coffee through my nose I was laughing so hard.

Camp Orientation

Today we took the kids to their summer camp clothing day, I never could understand why Americans spent what they did on summer camps, it was something I could not justify, but I have come to realize how intense the school year is and how much pressure these kids are under every day of the year. Camp is the time they get to be kids, let it all hang out and have an absolute blast. There is a whole waterpark at the camp, an ice hockey rink, you name it - it is there. I am envious of what they will do and am so happy that for 8 short weeks they get to be kids without rules, regulations and pressure, other then peer pressure. Ryan is in a group with kids from her grade plus a whole group that she used to be in Pre-K with. Nikki is being sent to the lions, going to camp with all these kids that she barely knows, who live inour neighbourhood, whose parents don't give us the time of day. Personally I look forward to the day these parents have to call me to set up a playdate as I am yet to meet kids who don't gravitate to that little Nikki. Murphy's Law, Nikki will end up best of friends with the kids whose parents like us the least. I look forward to seeing it all happen..... I really am a nasty sort after all :)

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals