Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Sisterhood of the generous souls

I find one common element with my really good friends, they are all generous to a fault. Some of the biggest fights I have ever had have been money related, not over who is going to pay because no-one wants to but because we both want to pay. It is not like any of us are particularly loaded but the generosity of spirit is what binds us all. I hate cheap people, I have no tolerance for people who have and don't ever stick their hands in their pocket. If someone does not have the means well that is a different story, I have been in that situation many times when I first moved to the States and was humbled by the generosity and thoughtfulness that was bestowed upon me, particularly by my friend Jodi who has since gone to Australia, Jodi's philosophy was she earned a lot of money and it she enjoyed my company, she would rather know that I was out having agreat time with them then know I was at home because I could not afford to have a great time. I will never forget how much that meant to me. My friend Andi who who would send me care packages from South Africa and still goes overboard, and my cousin Lisa who was so generous with me during that dark time, and still is. My friend Dawn who has surprised Ry with a very special gift during her trying time, and in many other ways.

I think the generosity of spirit is what binds us all.

Yesterday I did a closing with one of these friends. She is a single mom, has raised two kids without any help. She is someone I admire on so many levels. Her and I have a great time working together and she has been instrumental in me getting a lot of work. Not only do I care for her but feel indebted to her. She claims there is no debt as she thinks I am one of the best Title Closer's she has worked with (dare I argue :) ) but I know she goes above and beyond what she needs to do. The client at the closing happened to be her sister. Of course I did not charge her, my friend basically wrestled me to the ground and added a fee in for me, of around half my normal rate, her feeling was that her sister was still getting a great deal and she would have had to pay someone else for the full price if I had not been available to do it. We had a full on "barnie" (South African slang for a fight) - she bloody well won.

Thank you all you generous souls.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals