Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Monday, June 20, 2005

A mom's dilemma

It's funny, I don't see myself as the safest place in the world but to these two little souls that have captured my heart I am all encompassing, all powerful and yet I am just me. A woman made up of so many sides I wonder which one I will be today. Working woman, mother, sister, daughter or friend. Friendly stranger or klutz knocking over the cereal display in the supermarket. Sexy vixen to the man in the same market hoping he does not peer into my cart and see the baby wipes, kids suntan lotion, Preparation H and snack size goldfish, let me be a woman of mystery for just a moment more..................
Yet deep inside past all the layers I am just a little girl who occassionally throws caution to the wind who loves to giggle and be silly. Whose favorite activity is being around razor sharp people who make me pee with laughter at their wit, those who see the world as I do. Not always agreeing, no black, no white, no shades of gray but the colours of rainbow that make us all who we are.

I feel a great responsibility being a parent, I feel as if I have been entrusted with two souls to help form. I sometimes wish I could lay back and let it all happen but I see in my kids so much more then they do. I feel incredibly fortunate for not only do I love my kids, which is any mom's given, but I like them, I truly enjoy who they are and love watching who they are becoming.

I know we are who we are from birth, I truly believe that we don't change as people, our essence, our soul remains constant, its our mind we can change and our ways but not our nature. We can take the edge off or develop one. I try not to label my kids or limit them, I know they both have huge spirits, large souls and an ability to care for others that warms me. I don't expect them to be singing KumBaya every night or giving themselves over to free love but I want them to bear the social responsibility that comes with life and how one treats their fellow travellers on the journey that is our lives. It often feels like a double edged sword, teach them to be open, loving and trusting but wary of strangers or those who can do them harm, to trust their instincts but not to help search for the lost puppy that the man says he needs to find. Oh the worry and the anguish. The fear. So much that can go wrong. Buckle their seatbelts, tuck them in at night. Food restrictions, dietary changes, allergies, don't, don't, don't ...........................
do, do, do ...........................................
Be wild, be free, be polite, be quiet, sit still, don't talk back, express your feelings, be polite to everyone, don't speak to strangers
Be safe
Please
How can it be that they have been entrusted to me.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals