Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Happy Birthday Ryan

Along the lines of never a borrower or lender be, I feel never a follower or leader be .................... We had Ryan's birthday party. Every party around here is the same, gym, bowling or sports. Ryan wanted a cooking party. The only places that offer those options are places that make cookies or ice cream sundaes. Even though it was her birthday I wanted to keep her sugar exposure to a minimum, we loaded goodie bags with toys instead of candy and chose to do a make your own pizza party. Great. Now we just had to find a place that was willing to wander down that path with us. There was a place that did them but they were too far away so I approached the local pizza parlors in our neighborhood. I got resounding no's from everyone, I went to at least 6 places until I went to Calda's Pizzeria, which happens to be one of the places I order from but is a little further out of our immediate area.

The young owners could not have been more excited or willing to help. We were awed by their enthusiasm. We put together a list. Now usually most people are busy and you expect a mediocre turn out, well the RSVP's started flooding back, only two no's, 40 kids. They were all thrilled at the prospect of doing something out of the ordinary. Me and a place that has NEVER done this before - oh the joys. Oy friggin' vey. I hired two 16 year old girls to help, bought crafts and tattoo's and off we went.

The kids had a blast, usually parents leave but I made the mistake of ordering lots of food, hero sandwiches, the works, so they stayed. There is something about fitting over 60 people in a place built for 50 max.

Trying to get 40 individual pies made. We ordered pizza's for the kids once we saw how scary looking their pizza's were turning out. I must say the kids had a great time.

Josh, my mom, my friend Loren and I did not stop moving for a second. It truly amazed me how many of my friends who were there would not lift a finger to help, they could see how hectic it was for me and they just sat on their butts and had a great time. It floored me as I finally thought I had a group of people that I could rely on, I chose to invite their kids even though Ryan is not friendly with them but we are friends or so I thought. I guess I just have different standards for friendship. Loren is one of those people who just came through for me in a way I would do for my friends and I feel so blessed to have her here with me. I would not take anything on like this again, next time we will do bowling or a gym party - it would be half the price and a fraction of the work. The payoff was when I asked Ryan what her favourite part of the party was and she said "EVERYTHING!!" That girl deserved it. I am still recovering.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals