Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Polite Soceity???

I was brought up to believe in having good manners, respect ones elders and knowing how to treat people with respect. Living in NY that all seems to have fallen by the way side, not for me but for those around me. Conditioning my kids to survive in this soceity is one of the hardest tasks I face. Today I had a double hitter. The first at our local Trader Joe's www.Traderjoes.com where the shopping carts are kept at the bottom of a of a metal corral, on a slight hill. I went to retrieve a cart for myself when a woman was standing at the top where one brings the carts through - only space for one person in the cart corral at one time, so I grabbed two carts to bring one back for her. She gave me such a look, shoved the cart back down the hill and said to me "I am not that old I can do it myself". I must be the worlds biggest glutton for punishment because a short while later I saw an elderly lady loading her car with cases of cans, I offered to help her hoist her load when she turned, think she may have snarled at me, as she replied No. Not no thank you. Not anything remotely resembling a pleasantry. I said it with a smile, a big one. In my friendliest voice. What is wrong with these people? She should not have been buying green bananas let alone hoisting cases of sodas.

In Manhattan I have had people refuse a seat when I have stood up to offer them one. I don't get it. Why is it so hard for people to go out of their way to help others and accept help from others. It does not demean you to brush with humanity. It does not make one less to help another or accept a small gesture of politeness. I just don't get it and hopefully never will!!!!!!!!!

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals