Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Monday, April 11, 2005

Out of Africa

And they're off................................
Sunday morning we wake up and start the day running - divide. Conquer. A major offensive. Josh to soccer with Nikki, Ryan and I off to her activities, and then the supermarket. Meet at home at oh-12-hundred-hours to see my hubby, my hero, my Boer had carved out a hole in the backyard and was busy cooking a huge potjie , he also had a huge pot of samp and beans slowly simmering on the stove. Josh was born in NY but that is only by the way, he is really more South African then I am. I could not be with someone who did not embrace my culture and I have to say that he not only embraces it but cloaks himself in it. Meeting my dad to watch Rugby at 4am, making boerewors or biltong. When I first met him I told him about the black africans putting their beds up on bricks to keep the Toklosh (bad spirit) away. He has this amazing ability of storing info like that. He called me from work a few months later and was having a bad day. he said to me "that's it, I am going home and putting my bed on bricks!!!" His favourite past time is watching rugby with biltong and a Castle Beer. He even went to London to watch the game last year.

He invited my cousins, Darren, Laura and their two little boys(Ethan and Jordan) and Lisa(with her daughter Jamie) to come and partake in the feeding frenzy. We inherited a little girl (Jessica) from down the block for the afternoon and I must say a great time was had by all. The trampoline was a huge hit, the adults could barely handle a few minutes jumping on it - the kids kept going for ages, sheesh they have so much friggin' energy!!! There is something magical about watching the next generation continue where we left off.

I have 11 first cousins and while I am only close to a few now I love the fact that we had such a great time growing up and now our kids will know what it is like to have a large extended family, they get to have a blood bond with a whole lot of little people in a place where we don't really belong :)

Case in point, I was at the Javitz Center with my friend Andi who is working a show there with the South African Trade Commission. The South Africans all think I sound American and the Americans all think I sound South African - go friggin' figure!!!

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals