Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Design Dreams............

Josh and I have been at odds, not with each other but with our house. We bought a house that was in knockdown condition and truly should have been knocked down. It is an unbelievable location, in one of the top two public school districts in the country. I love the house once you get inside but the outside is hurting.

There is not an original wall, fixture and barely any original plumbing or wiring either. I think the only original parts are most of the external walls, the fireplace, the stairs and the aircon unit. We have struggled with our grandoise ideas and our budget, truly, I would love to implode it and start all over again but we have invested so much in to it that it would not make sense to do so.

This year we are replacing the deck and the front has to be redone, our retaining wall on the driveway is collapsing and the front step is literally falling down. Now the Town we live in has very strict codes about what you can build, how much of your land you can cover, etc. and at the moment you are not allowed more than 25% coverage, so we have to juggle what we want to do with what we can do. Part of the struggle we have had is turning our modern exterior into a more country, traditional looking home. Josh and I love history, antiques, older homes and live in a modern house.

We have met with various architects and have not particularly loved their solutions and it has now reached the point that we can NO longer put it off.

Last week we met with the perfect architect. Can he design? Can he draw? I have no friggin' idea all I know is I told Josh that he is doing the work because he is the most gorgeous man I have ever met and that Josh has to work it into the contract that he has to make a minimum of one visit a day to check on the progress of whatever he decides to design, even if he transforms the front of the house into something from the pages of the story Heidi, I WANT HIM, ...... er to design our house that is..........................

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals