Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Monday, April 25, 2005

Passover Pleasures

I love my family. I love to see them, be with them and do many things with them. Pesach (Passover) is not one of the things I like to do with them. They just plain drive me nuts for that one week of the year so we came up with the perfect solution, ship my folks off to Florida and my mom and sister (my sister lives in Florida) can drive each other nuts. It is wonderful.

Both my mom and sister keep kosher, they change dishes and won't eat in anyone else's home unless they too change dishes. My family is lucky if I change my clothes let alone my dishes.

Josh and I had both seders in our home this weekend and I must say it was one of the most relaxing, warmest, almost spiritual experiences I have had over the holidays in a long time. There is such a warmth and pleasure I get from having people in my home. I feel like the walls have a memory and absorb all the love, all the laughter and expand and hold it within this place we call home. Keep your fancy castles, I am no Lady of the Manor, for me the grandest place of all is the place I call home. OK so the front step is falling down, we have no deck but the inner light, the inner love, well that is the gilt edged beauty that makes me whole.

Josh has turned into the consumate host, he has relaxed into his role and is so great at what he does. The first night we had a bustling 20 people, a nice mix of family and friends, My Friend Fern, her husband and their two Kids, Ryan was so excited at the concept of playing with the two girls and could not get her head that the "kids" were 19 and 21. Luckily Fern's daughters had such patience it was great. The weirdest thing is her youngest daughter looks so much like my sister Ninnette did at that age and it was so weird as it felt like Nin was at the table with us - strange how that happens. My friends Lisa and Kevin were also there along with their two kids and her parents, My in-laws and us. A great time was had by all.

My friends have all teased me that I appear to be the most laid back easy going soul, completely grounded and un-JAPpy (JAP = Jewish American Princess) but I am actually the Jap-iest out of them all because I have my mom do ALL the work. She made the appetizers entrees and matzo ball soup, even the desserts, and then she went to Florida to make everything for my sister's Seder. G-d bless the woman, she has more energy then anyone I know she is truly remarkable and luckily an unbelievable cook. Thanks Mom.

Don't think I let her off easy as she had to make the second night as well, which was a completely different night, my friend Lauren, who went to Yeshiva for school conducted the Seder, she has such a remarkable voice, it was wonderful, and her kids sang. My South African buddy in the neighbourhood also joined us, plus the in-laws, a real low key (except for Lauren hitting the high notes) evening.

Chag Sameach Everyone.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals