Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Speaking for the unheard.

What we put out in the world is what we receive. Its strange I was brought up in a very priviledged environment, my parents both successful. What put them apart from many of the self-made people I knew is that to this day they will start chatting with anyone anywhere, they have never forgotten where they came from and how quick a trip back it would be.

It was always funny watching people in my dad's office quiver with fear at the mention of his name, always Mr. E, never called by his first name, Jack. I remember once before school (when I was at Damelin for Matric, Damelin was across from the railway station in Jo'burg central), my dad drove me in at the ung-dly hour of 6:00am, we went to have breakfast at his regular coffee shop. His favourite cup of coffee magically appeared without him uttering a word, along with two slices of toast. All around us were handshakes and greetings to Jack. How are you doing Jack, Whats Happening, Jack, Missed you last week Thursday Jack. Jack was smiling and chatting to his buddies, the truck drivers, the mailmen, and his all time hero the train drivers. Jack was just one of the crew.

I guess some of that has rubbed off on me, having been gone from NY for 6 weeks and then even longer from some of my favourite haunts. I experienced the Pavlovian effect of my upbringing, I walk into my favourite take out Sushi place, Hi the owner greets me, I say hi back, walk over to the ready made sushi counter, as I do so he shouts to the back asking them to make me my favourite soft-shell crab roll. I smile, we chat, his broken English, a sweet Japanese man, with a smile and oozing self respect. I walk into my favourite 7-11 after a late closing, its 8pm, the man behind the counter beams at me, I'll make you a fresh pot of coffee as he runs to clean the pot out of my decaf crumb cake coffee pot. Hi I say and we chat about our summers. Its funny when the invisible people around us are made visible, they treat those of us who notice with such respect and are so kind to us. I am grateful to have parents who noticed everyone.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals