Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Friday, July 28, 2006

Update continued

Saturday July 8th

After a night of throw up, still dragging, cleaned the kids and me, sheesh they say when its your own kids it doesn't matter but jissus china it sure is gross. Hung out with Lisa, PJ's on sipping tea, great way to spend a morning. Headed back for the timeshare, cooked and chilled out. My kids have had such a rough time with the food, actually so have I, everything is so rich, Ry can devour 4 yoghurts in a sitting in NY, here 2 spoonfuls and she was done. The food is drenched in butter, even hamburger buns arrived buttered. I think the real difference between SA and the USA and the real reason people are so obese in the states is the richness of the food, one can eat huge quantities in NY and never feel satisfied, here a few spoonfuls does the trick. Although I must say I don't find SA's as thin as they once were I think the introduction of drive throughs and McD's has not done much for the waistline. Although the outdoor lifestyle definitely leaves them with more pep in their step and smiles on their dials. I can't believe winter means a long sleeve T-shirt, and a pair of shorts for the kids, heaven. Wow.

Sunday July 9th
Spent the day with Andi, went to a dr. with Ry and Ands her and I hit the nursery where we could sit and eat (I had a delicious salad, the veggies here are so unbelievably tasty), really great spending quality time with Ands, she is so much more then a friend, I see her as one of my sisters. So special having her in my life. Went to the Rosebank Flea Market to peruse through overpriced tourist stuff.

Slept over at Jodi and Russ's place, was so lekker having a marathon huck, unfortunately little Nikki was attached to my side that night and I had yet another sleepless night.

Monday July 10th
Jodi got me an appointment at 9am with her reflexologist, in the states reflexolofy is a fancy name for a food massage, here it is an art where talented people can read your feet and cure you of what ails you. Its been almost 20 years since I have been to someone as talented as this reflexologist. She is amazing and really knows her craft well. Its funny as I drove to her on the otherside of town (Victory Park to Glenhazel)all the routes came back to me and I just remembered where and how to go. Its funny how there is so much stored in the bank of ones mind that we never get a chance to utilize. Funnier yet was meeting my friend Elana (in NY)'s cousin at Balfour, she owns the coffee shop there and I just had to have a cuppa).

Aterwards went to Moyo with Lisa, Di and Jodi and their host of kids. What an incredible venue, its on the zoo lake, an African motiffed restaurant with outdoor and indoor seating, it is so stunning. The food was very mediocre but the venue and activities for the kids were just unbelievable.

Its funny in NY Ry struggles to connect with kids, here her connection is instant. She has made so many friends and just found a well of self confidence socially that I have not seen before. It is such a gift to just be a kid here, people in NY get so uptight, I don't really blame them as when a kid drags mud through the house for a second time you want to beat them to a pulp, here Precious, ever so patiently cleans up for the umpteenth time. The kids are forever barefoot and covered in dirt. At Moyo they climbed trees and built a clubhouse out of twigs and leaves. Its so amazing that they can be kids and I realize being here how much they miss out on.

We then headed back to our place where everyone collapsed and watched TV, I finished my second book, I have been so reading deprived and I have to say I am literally devouring books whole :) Its been so long since I have had a chance to read and I am just loving it.

Tuesday July 11th

Hit Bruma early to buy some gifts for people, its amazing the price difference between the vendors at Bruma and Rosebank. Bruma one buys direct from vendors instead of 20 middle men at Rosebank. I am awed by the talent of the local people, their ability to make pieces of wire into pieces of art is amazing. I am also shocked at the priced of stuff in south africa, what was once a cheap destination for us dollar weilding tourists is now an extremely expensive place, food prices are prohibitive and the level of poverty is so overwhelming, it sadnes me. Watching the dignity with which the man in the street carries him/herself and the struggle that they face just to put food on the table is so sad and it really broke my heart.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals