Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Friday, September 08, 2006

The Ugly Truth ................

Dawn's response to My Africa post (directly below this one), got me thinking how right she was (don't let it go to your head chines :))

Her comment was: What I find strange about it all is that the 'new south africa' brought out the truth of the 'old south africa' - that which has been going on in the townships for ever, certainly while we were all living our idyllic lives, is now widespread and has become the way of life. Township crime and the good old-bad old days suburban bliss collided. Ironically, I suspect it is the same most everywhere. How long would us priviliged folk hang out in those areas of America's big cities that are no-go-zones for us? I expect not very long. For those who haven't seen 'TSOTSI' yet - it's a great movie about South Africa and its human spirit.

We certainly did live Idyllic lives. We still do. The harsh reality of the life so many live is one that just gnaws away at my soul. Its funny though because many of the old school black South Africans I spoke to thought things were better under apartheid, they said that there were more jobs, things were less expensive and there was less crime. I guess when one is fighting for ones basic civil rights your priorities are different. So many people expected that when Apartheid ended they would move into nice homes and live better lives. Some did but the majority struggle. I suspect you are right Dee in that many big cities in the USA must face the same issues. Its a shame.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals