Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Monday, July 04, 2005

4th of July

The 4th of July is an interesting weekend, signifying the American Holiday of Independence, yet I see Americans are shackled by the disposable soceity they have created. Reaching for th gold and restricted by their freedoms. No-one can joke with opposite sex for fear of a sexual discrimination lawsuit. I see people up to their eyeballs in debt trying to achieve the american dream, although I think the original dream was a car in every garage and a chicken on every stove - or something like that. Not strive for the max. out do your neighbor before he out does you.

We have had a really great weekend so far, we had Josh's dad, his step-mom and my parents over for shabbas dinner. It is always exhausting to pull together but so much a part of the traditions I want to pass on to my girls. Unfortuately it was a hectic week, the end of the month can be gruelling in my profession with closings packed one on top of the other, this was one of those weekes. The girls started their first week of camp, they had a great time, they bloody well better :)

Saturday was Ryan's actual birthday. Wow what a day it was, my friend Loren dropped her two girls off at me for the day - we went to the movies (saw Shark Boy and Lava Girl in 3-D), did lunch, had an American Girl teaparty at our house afterwards ( www.americangirlplace.com ) with crafts and birthday cake that I saved from Ry's party. We bought Ry oodles of stuff for her Marisol doll that she had earned from her visits to Dr. Lally. We did great with stuff from e-bay and had one happy little chappy (or is that chippy?) It is so wonderful when my two girls connect with two other kids and I have to say I love when Cami and Kate are with them, they are such great kids, really well mannered and chilled out. So down to earth and unpretentious, just like their folks. I have such a special place in my heart for them and consider Loren part of the special group of women who are my satelite sisters, fortunately she is a lot closer to home.

My parents did their own special birthday celebration for Ryan on Saturday night with KFC for dinner and a sleep over of note. Josh and I packed the jeep went out for an unbelievable sushi dinner and went off roading on the beach - he has a special permit. We set up our chairs with drinks and snacks and watched the sun set above the waves. Once the sunset there were tons of firwork displays around the shoreline we had the perfect seat to watch the most awesome displays of American Patriotism. Wow.

Sunday was the best my folks kept the kids for the day, they went swimming, did crafts, played with the doggies, Josh left early for a whole day of offroading in Poughkeepsie with his step-brother, Rob and I had the day to myself. Cooked a bit, shopped a bit and cuddled up on the sofa to watch 7 years in Tibet with Brad Pitt. I am not a Brad Pitt fan, his body is awesome but he has never really catptured any part of my fantasy. He was awesome in the movie and if you have not watched it may I strongly suggest that you do. It was unlike anything I imagined it to be and I found it really enchanting, gripping and the perfect movie for the perfect horizontal day.

Today we will pack up and head out to a friend of mine's house, she lives in a huge house, she is doing a huge bbq, she is Jewish, her husband Italian, you have to know there is more food then you can imagine. Her daughter and Nikki have gone to pre-K together and i have to say they are part of this magical group we have been lucky enough to meet. Looking forward to it with gusto.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals