Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Bygone Era..........

I was fortunate to spend time with J's step-grandmorther this weekend. She is a remarkable woman, who take life in both hands and lives it to the maximum. She savours every moment of everyday and is an inspiration to all who meet her. She started iceskating when she was 80, always up for new experiences, what a very special lady she is. The one thing that struck me as we were sitting sipping tea yesterday afternoon, was here I am a late 30's woman, in good health, fairly good shape, and the best I could come up with for an outfit was sweatpants and a sweatshirt with sneakers. Here is a 93 year old woman who took the time to have her hair done, put make up on, dress impeccably. She squeezed her feet into uncomfortable shoes, sporting a broken toe, all because they completed the outfit. She looked great, fragile, old but well put together. I was reminded how she is the end of that era, Dee's mom is part of that too, I have never seen Pauline with a hair out of place, or J's friends mom, whose home I cleaned out when she died and how each of her pocketbooks had a hankerchief with her initial embroidered on them tucked inside each one of her considerable handbag collection. That generation is coming to an end. The fast paced lives we lead and the need to simplify that only ends up making everything more complicated has taken that elegance, that sense of style out of everyday life. I am sad to see it go, all the while relieved that I can throw my blue jeans on and head for door, without even a pocket book.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals