Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

L'Shana Tova

This year has been a very different year, I have truly taken stock of my life and allowed myself to glory in the imperfections. I no longer notice what is missing but what is there. After so many years of longing for so much that was not there it feels good to appreciate what is.

In doing so Ihave let go of the notion of the huge celebrations, where my entire family would appear to devour the delectable treats my mom served us for the holidays, there would be 70 people a day and no-one left hungry, in fact most were done eating for the week by the time my mom got through with them. My sisters were unable to be here and my cousins decided not to join us for the first night as they usually do. I opened up the invitation to my new neighbour who is recently divorced but comes equipped with a South African sister-in-law, how bad could she be?? We get on really well, her daughter is in Ry's class and her son is in Nikki's class. Jake, her son has a crush on Ryan unlike anything I have every seen, Ry is loving every second of it, I will tell you all the scoop on that later. Anyway the New Year was brought in by Josh, the kids, his dad, step-mom, my parents, his friend Bob and Georgian, Jackie, her two kids, her sister-in-law (Andi), brother and there 3 kids. Its was a noisy fabulous affair. The kids had a blast and the parents did to. Andi enmeshed herself in my family and lapped up all the south african-isms. Andi is a staunch vegetarian but smiled at the perogen and kichel, danish herring and array of home-made treats, she recounted stories of her family and seeing a similar table laden with similar fare and we felt them all around us even thoughthey all live dispersed around the world. Everyone got on so well, the laughter flowed with a few bottles of KWV and the stories we swapped. It felt like home. We all left smiling, floating despite the full bellies, happy to be surrounded by laughter, love and the tastes of home.

Ryan sat on my dad's lap after dinner recounting her Jake tales. "He has a crush on me she says to him", really my dad asks. "Do you like him??" "No" she rolls her head back in her head, "he is so annoying". "What does he do for a living" My dad asks, "he's a lawyer" she says without skipping a beat. he is 6. Where did that come from? Jake just adores Ry and I have to say if last year was the start of the year of Ryan well it was the year that gave her wings because this year she is soaring, she has taken off to heights that I had only dreamed of for her. Jake's adoration has certainly helped as has her friendship with Arianna (his sister), her time in South Africa was pure gold. She just blossomed and grew and came into her own. I love who she has become and am so proud of her. Jake is here every afternoon and the other day I felt quite bad, I had a whole brood of people here, 8 kids and three moms (plus my two and me), he knocked on the door, I told him it was not a great time and asked him to come back another time. he said ok. I did not realize it but he sat on my front step and waited - it was only when I sent everyone on their merry way that I realized he was waiting there. Devotion like that does not come along everyday.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals