Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Safe in South Africa???

I was in the middle of a closing, my cell rings, its my dad. I am in the middle of a closing can I call you back later? Realizing its close to 10pm in SA I say to him is everything OK? Not really he says, excuse me I say to the table loaded with people needing me to do what I need to do to get them on to their next step. What's wrong I say, my mind running through 50 million possibile disasters. He tells me how he and my mom were driving near their home in Vereeiniging they were stopped at a light. They never saw anything or heard anything, my mom felt something brush past her leg, the thug had broken the window, taken her bag without her knowing anything. She was covered in glass and they did not see it happen. Thank G-d it was not serious and they were ok. But it seems like there is an incident everytime they go back. I am nervous to go back now, I have not felt that way, I was more scared of going back and not wanting to leave, now I am scared to take my kids there, it will just be me and the two kids for 6.5 weeks. My kids don't know what its like to have fences up, to not ride your bike in the front yard or walk down the street. They don't know what it is like to have security guards and alarms. They don't know that they can't drive around with their windows open. They don't know what it means to live in South Africa. I have been gone for so long but its funny the lessons are still in place. I immediately lock my doors when I get into my car. I rarely have my window open although understand its my issue and allow them theirs. It seemed like a good idea when we made the plan, now I am not sure. I want to go home, really I do, its been almost 8 years, I want to buy biltong and chat with my friends and show my kids my history. Take them past my childhood home. They are fortunate in that we are surrounded by my husbands history, he grew up in our neighbourhood, attended their school, they belong to the same Shul, but I want them to know me and where I come from. At what cost???

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals