Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Friday, June 02, 2006

Fear factor...........

I have never lived my life in fear. I am a firm believer in changing what you don't like or live with it. That was one of the factors that sent me on my whirlwind adventure when I left South Africa in 1993. June 10th will be my 13th anniversary. 13 years has gone by so quickly yet it seems like a multitude of lifetimes ago. I had a bit of a meltdown a few weeks ago, it was prompted by the visit of my parents friends (my dad's ex-secretary and her hubby), they were telling me delightful stories of the crime in SA and how there are even signs at some intersections warning of hijackings. Can I just say that completely freaked me out. How could I expose my children to that kind of danger. I must say my mind was not exactly laid to rest when I read Melany's blog and she spoke of co-sleeping as a form of security. I have organized a whirlwind tour for my girls so that they can see the best of what SA has to offer (at the worst time of year unfortunately) and I started freaking out because I have to drive far distances between the various points and while I am out of touch with living on the edge of fear my kids are completely removed from it and have no idea it even exists. I started trying to remember how to get to places and once again I just could not. My friends Andi and Dawn came to the rescue, Andi with a whole batch of woman friendly maps (yes I do not have the map reading gene) and Dee with her good old common sense. I am once again excited at the prospect and looking forward to all SA has to offer - I have just had to add a prayer for our safe trip, journey and return. Its so strange looking at the world through the eyes of a parent. Its amazing how scary a place it becomes.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals