Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Saturday, November 20, 2004

Weekly Adventure

This week has whizzed by. There are times where I just stand back and am amazed at the speed of life. Work took off with a vengeance which is always nice, its been really slow and I just don't love not earning and being part of the stay at home mom crew is not for me. I think Josh and the kids would prefer is I stayed home, cooked dinner every night and carpooled the kids to karate, dance and oragami. The truth is that there is a part of my self esteem that is directly linked to earning and being my own person seperate from my family. At work, I am no-ones daughter, mother, sister or wife. I have a persona that is all me, I can be whomever I was before I had those labels and it is fun. The work itself is fulfilling its just an added bonus that I happen to meet funny and smart people in my travels.

Josh's baby arrived today - I must say it is really cute and while I think I am going to become a landrover widow while he restores it, I think it is wonderful that he has managed to attain his dream. Sure I have to marry a guy whose dream is to own a 1949 Landrover, why could it not be someone who wants to own a 2005 Porsche or Corvette - now you're talking. Instead of cruising at a solid 100 miles per hour the top speed on his baby is a rocking 40.

On Wednesday Josh went to London to watch the rugby. How is it I married an American Boer?? He is a castle swilling, biltong eating, potjie making Afrikaner. The fact that he was born in America is just a geographical error I think he would have set up his own ox wagon and re-enacted the great Trek. Him and my dad are Rugby obsessed. Go figure. He is having a grand old time. I must say I have enjoyed the break to. Meeting friends for dinners, lunches and even doing a marathon shop day out East with another. Spending time with my girls its a different dynamic when he is not here and we have had some wonderful laid back times. They are great girls, very loving and affectionate.

On Wednesday I was out until late. Whenever I get home or before I go to sleep I always tuck my girls in and give them a last kiss for the day. I got home at around 10:30pm and tucked Nikki in and while I did she opened her eyes, saw me, murmered "mommy" and this grin just spread across e whole face as she grabbed my hand and pulled it under the cover with her and promptly fell back asleep while clutching my hand. I have never been loved by anyone as much as I have been by Nikki. She loves me to a depth that I never knew existed. She is a kid of such polar opposites, she loves with a vengenance and is a cuddly little kitten, in the next breath she is a headstrong, metal minded 4-year old that can not be swayed.

My friend Debi and I spent Thursday running to various stores that are hidden gems. In the midst of our travels we concluded that we had not known what love was before we had kids and we had also not known what frustration meant when we had kids.

After my closing I went to meet my friend Ellen at her gorgeous home. She lives in one of the Trump Plazas on Riverside Park Drive. She has this unbelievable view of the Hudson River and the apartment building is truly breath taking. She is a very successful executive and works for one of the major accounting firm. She is such a dynamic and smart woman who gives her all to everything she does but remains grounded and real inspite of all that she has achieved. She is expecting her second child. When she had her first child she turned to her mom and said to her that she had no idea how much her mother loved her. She always knew her mom loved her but could not even begin to comprehend just how much.

I think that pretty much says it all. Thanks Mom (and Dad).

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals