Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Friday, June 16, 2006

Friends for laugh................

The gift of today is not knowing what it holds. What delicious surpise is in store or what everyday occurance we take for granted that makes us exist occurs. The summer heat has set in with a sharp ferocity heralding the warm summer that was predicted a few weeks ago. When I moved to America I expected the cold winters but was somewhat surprised by the brutal summers, they have these hot, humid and hazy days, there is no hope for ones frizzy hair or frazzled mood. The summers are best spent at a beach somewhere sipping Pina Colada's.

It took me a long time to be ok with my decision to live here and I have spent a lot of time regretting my decision to move to New York, it took even longer for me to assimilate with the local and while I am not one of the masses I have certainly found my own enclave of like minded souls who just keep me going and laughing. I need laughter in my day, I need to have people who can laugh at lifes cruel blows while we cry. I need people who don't just scratch at the surface but dive in feet first touching the raw emotions that sets us apart from each other. I feel so grateful to have finally found lifelines, people whom I can ask for help and they readily give it. The gift of grabbing that impromtu cup of coffee, the gift of devouring an entire piece of brie cheese and having pieces of it snorted out because you are laughing so hard. The gifts of everyday in today. Today was one of those days, I got to laugh with my friend Andi who I teased mercilessly, she had sent me an e-mail about the child rape statistics in South Africa, this the day after I had a complete freak out about going to SA with my kids. I teased her mercilessly trying to work out what part of that e-mail was going to make me feel better about my trip to South Africa, we howled with laughter, as two good friends would as we ripped eachother to shreds, laughing all the way. Then there was an online chat with Dawn who keeps me centered with her wisdom, I love her take on life and how easy it is for her to laugh and how there are no barriers we can take a discussion in a million directions, laughing all the way. My doorbell just rang after the school bus left and there was Deb with her delicious daughter Alex, here for an impromptu playdate, she hated my new curtains and is insisting that they be made into shades, we laughed so hard, hence the flying brie. In the midst of the impromptu playdate my friend Mish called from London, we planned my short day trip to Lonndon, en-route to SA, I am so excited to see her its been far too long. A day of laughter and a day of friends, from Johannesburg, London, New Jersey and up the block, let me tell you it does not get better then this. To top it off we are off to celebrate a friends daughter's birthday (the same group from Atlantic City will be there - looking forward to it. Now if I could just stay awake through it.

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals