Brotter_Blogger

A South African, married to an American, finally adapting to my adopted country. I love life, laughter, good friends and the warmth that my two kids have filled me with. I glory in the colors of my life and am grateful for the gray days as they allow me to appreciate the rainbows.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Music Video Codes - MySpace Layouts

Monday, March 21, 2005

PTA Parent Teacher Appreciation Luncheon

I am one of those nuts who joined the PTA and tried to actually make things happen. I signed up for committees and actually worked on them - who knew such a thing could happen. Last year I ran the Halloween Committee and created the first ever haunted house - it was a huge hit and of course a lot of work. I am my own worst enemy as I get so caught up in the whirlwind and excitement of it all that I just can't stop, I then end up wondering why nights and weekends are spent dealing with all this crap while the rest of my committee has to juggle nail appointments and tennis lessons. Being a working mom takes tons of juggling to start out with but my participation on the committee really affirms why it is that I work and how much I love what I do. I certainly could not deal with all this crap every day.

This latest committee is the Parent Teachers Appreciation luncheon where we say thank you to the teachers for all that they do. I must add the teachers are amazing and I feel fortunate that my kids will be taught by such a dedicated, enthusiastic and caring group of people. This luncheon is our chance to cook, bake and serve the teachers a luncheon of note. Poor Josh gets caught in my hair brain schemes and had to make all the decorations for me, he made the sandcastle and the cabana frames - I get to just decorate it. He is so talented and there is nothing that he can't fix, build or make. I have never met anyone like him. Of course with his mind constantly working out how things work it brings to the fore how Women are from Venus and Men are truly from Mars. many the time we have sat there in a romantic setting, enjoying the view and I have turn to him and as any woman worth her salt would say "What are you thinking" in our earlier years he would go into detailed explainations about the fan above our head and how if it was angled at xyz it would be more efficient or how the motor on the boat we were on was working - all that fun romantic jargon!! He has certainly gotten smarter as he has gotten older and now replies "Oh I am thinking of you and how much I love you", we both know thats a crock but hey it keeps me happy and him out of trouble so it works :) Actually I must say he does appreciate me and tells me every day how much he loves me and how much I mean to him. But I digress, the teachers appreciation luncheon was really awesome and it was tough transforming the library into a beach but I think we did the best we could and it looked awesome. The funniest part is I have a neighbour who does not particularly like Josh and I, she is about what car you drive, which beach club you belong to and obviously I don't give a continental about any of that stuff. As luck would have it she ended up running the committee and her and I were really the only two who did any work on it. Its amazing how things work as her youngest daughter is 2 weeks older then Nikki and she has not been allowed to socialize with Nikki. I think we bonded to the point that she realizes her daughter would not be forever damaged to make our aquaintance, and while if it were up to me I would tell her exactly where to get off, I have a kid who will be at school with her child and I am grown up to know that the mom's don't have to vibe but I can't do anything to jeopardize my kids and have them subject to the preconceived ideas of the people who surround us. The worst part is I think she actually likes me now and that is a real quandry for her and her jetset crowd :)

Blockbuster DVD Rentals
Blockbuster DVD Rentals